Maximum Rhythm and Blues

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Richard Wagner - Die Walkure - 1856

Ladies, gentlemen, children of all ages, welcome once more to the best god damned music blog on the internet. Oh it's true.
   I don't know about the rest of you, but when i'm driving, I like to go a solid 45 mph through the suburbs (20 miles over the limit in my neck of the woods) with the windows rolled down and opera music reaching at least 150 decibels. Passerby stop and gawk, other drivers quickly take another route, and passengers in my vehicle are forced to pay the price for my courtesy. Frankly I don't give a shit about any of that though, because when it's 7:30 in the morning and I'm strung out on coffee and pipe tobacco, there's nothing in the entire world that i'd rather listen to. But I digress, I'm beating about the bush, my apologies.
   Richard Wagner. Tall. German. One of those people that's good at almost anything they touch. You know the type. Anyways, Wagner has created a legacy for himself in large part to his series of opera pieces entitled "Der Ring des Nibelungen" or "The Ring" for short. The Ring is comprised of 4 opera masterpieces, each fairly remarkable in length. Under normal circumstances I would post all 4 of these pieces but I'm feeling particularly frugal this evening (I'm also considerate enough to realize that four 150+ minute opera albums may over saturate everyones respective iTunes playlists so cut me some slack).
   Instead, I will post my favorite of the cycle, "Die Walkure" (thats "The Valkyrie" for those of you who have a hard time putting things together). Based on Norse Mythology, The Valkyrie tells the tale of Siegmund and his various exploits, including war, romance, and of course The Valkyrie, powerful female warriors who roam Norse battlefields in search of heroes to bring to Valhalla.
   Personally I love the whole opera, I think it to be well-composed throughout and it gives you something new on each listen. But guys, seriously, if nothing else, just listen to the section known as "The Ride of The Valkyries". Holy shit. Holy folkin' shit. So incredible. This opera never ceases to disappoint. It's like those Enzyte pills that aired on television all the time back in the day, "The Gift that Keeps on Giving." This Opera has been used in everything from Looney Tunes to Professional Wrestling (Daniel Bryan, anyone?), so you know it most be good.
   That's it for ol' tdawg007 tonight. Remember readers, make me proud, listen to it loud. Really loud.

 
 

1 comment: